Lads from Sports Interactive released a Pre-Beta FM14 Match engine footage on Friday. We’re bringing you our opinions, as well as from the FM community.
So SI presented us with an early footage of match engine that will serve us in Football Manager 2014. Also, we’ve seen an close cam, the latest addition to ME, and have to say it impressed us big time.
Our opinions on pre-beta ME
First off, we have to stress out that this is really an early footage to say for sure how will the final product look like on the release day, but nevertheless, ME in our opinions looks better and improved from FM13.
Some of the reasons for this opinion are;
- Close cam - definitely a fresh and a great idea to include this new camera angle to latest FM release. Because all the camera angles seemed quite far in FM13. Even when fully zoomed on the pitch, it still didn’t look that it's close enough. So this new camera angel is definitely a huge plus in our opinion.
- Reduced icing effect - players don’t look like they’re playing on ice so much. Movement of the players is more realistic in our opinion.
- New shadows - great looking new shadows from the players, that especially look good when on close cam. Adds a new dose of realism.
- Players look different - again, when looking through this new camera angle, players look very much alive and better.
But every good thing has a bad thing in it. Things we are going to mention are not big issues that will bother you big time, but it would be great if they could be improved by the full release of FM14.
Some of the things that bothered us;
- Nets unrealistic movement when a goal is scored. They just don’t look good to us, but then again it’s not a big issue, but just something we’d like to be improved by the full release.
- Improvements on the crow are no where to be seen. Yeah, crowd is not that important to the whole match experience, but some new chants and crowd celebrations and movements could and should be introduced.
Again, this is an early footage that could look a lot different even when the BETA comes out in few days, probably on Wednesday or Thursday.
Opinions from the FM scene
We asked FM fans and players what they think about the ME footage, here are some of their comments;
A huge improvement in passing and movement ! Ok it's not perfect but it looks like a big step forward from FM13 to my eyes !
Graphically, it looks very good. Then again, so did FM13. What's disappointing is that they STILL can't fix the animations so the players don't look like they're ice skating. It has improved a bit for sure and the ME on the whole does look more fluid than before, but it's still bad compared to, well, almost any game out there these days.
Graphics and player animation definitely looks better. Its a question of how the AI works.
Sometimes in that clip the arms of the players seem to almost disappear, or they're running with their hands in their pockets. And their legs don't look entirely normal. Hopefully, they'll fix that/touch it up.
For early footage, this looks great and improved!
Maybe I haven't played enough in recent years, but I thought that looked really impressive.
Looks great graphically...easily the best yet which is an enormous positive. On the other side of things the balls physics are not within the boundaries of known physics which remains an issue from this time last year.
We added a poll where players could vote on this particular matter. While 65% think that a ME has improved from the former release, 30% of them think that it looks the same to FM13, and then we have 5% of the people that think ME looks even worse from the last year.
Also we asked the head director, Miles Jacobson, on fans feedback as we were really eager to see his opinion, he replied via his twitter account.
@official_FMB people can judge it for themselves much better when the beta / demo are out.— Miles Jacobson (@milesSI) October 12, 2013
Telling by his tweet to us, we’re expecting to see a improvement of ME in Beta release. Will this be the case? Well, we have to wait and see.
Final thoughts on Pre-Beta FM14 ME
Match engine definitely looks way better than it looked in FM13. But we have to keep in mind that this is a PRE-BETA footage, so not even a Beta, and that gives us hope that it will be a bit more improved on the official release date, October 31st.
Finally, take a look of the footage yourself if you haven’t already, and share with us your opinion!